February 3, 2011

Classic Coachella: John Frusciante - "Songbird" [2007]



At the 2007 Coachella music festival, the iconic Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined the Saturday gig. In between their set, legendary former Chili Pepper guitarist John Frusciante played a solo cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Songbird", it really showed how incredible his vocals are, not just as a backup vocalist but on lead. Frusciante even changed the line "But most of all I wish it from myself" to "But most of all I wish it on myself". Take a listen if you have the time. The Chili Peppers won't be the same without Frusciante. I mean does anyone remember how bad they were with Dave Navarro manning the lead guitar?




As far as John Frusciante's solo career goes, it's worth a look. His most recent album "The Empyrean [2009]" has a bunch of more than solid tracks, and I also recommend "Shadows Collide With People [2004]" and "Curtains [2005]".

The track "Before the Beginning" is maybe the best instrumental track I have ever had the pleasure of hearing. It belongs in a movie. Check it out for yourself here.

No comments:

Post a Comment